Jul 25, 2024  
PVCC 2021-2022 College Catalog 
PVCC 2021-2022 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Education (AS)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study

Associate of Science Degree
Code: 625
Transfer Program

Purpose: The associate of science in education degree program is designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a baccalaureate degree program in a particular subject and enter the teaching field.

Program Requirements: This curriculum requires courses in the humanities, natural sciences, mathematics, social sciences, and health and physical education in addition to general course work usually required in the first two years of a baccalaureate teacher education curriculum. The student is urged to become familiar with the requirements of a major department in the college or university to which transfer is contemplated. Students who wish to transfer to the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia must fulfill entrance requirements that vary considerably from this program. These individuals must check with Admissions and Records and the dean of the Division of Humanities, Fine Arts and Social Sciences. In general, these students should enroll in the liberal arts program, not education.

Graduation Requirements: 1. Students entering all degree programs are required to take one Writing Intensive Course (WIC), which has a prerequisite of ENG 111    and ENG 112 , in order to graduate. Approved Writing Intensive Courses are specified with a “WI” section designation. 2. Beginning in Fall 2020, students in all degree programs are required to take at least one Civic Engagement course to graduate. Although a course fulfills a requirement for a PVCC program, it is possible the course will not fulfill a requirement at a four-year institution. Students who plan to transfer need to be aware of the four-year institution’s requirements.

Total minimum credits: 62

A list of courses that fulfills the requirements for Humanities, Mathematics, Science w/Laboratory and Social Science Electives can be found on the Transfer Course Electives  page. Students should choose their Lab Science based on their intended transfer college or university and should check with their transfer advisor for the appropriate math courses and sequencing for your transfer institution.

Transfer Electives: one course must be selected from the following options: ENG 241  ENG 242  ENG 243  ENG 244  ENG 246  ENG 250  ENG 251  ENG 252  ENG 253  ENG 254  or ENG 255  and the other can be selected from the Transfer Course Electives  page.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study